Maryland DUI Attorney - Rockville & Columbia
We have locations to serve you in Howard County, Montgomery County, Anne
Arundel County, Baltimore County and Prince George's County.
We offer reasonable and affordable prices and payment plans.
We are available to assist you 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
Have you ever been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs?
DUI is thought to be one of the most common and most serious criminal charges
issued in Maryland. The police, court system and public officials have
made it a point to bring down the strong arm of the law on anyone who
they suspect is driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This
is a criminal offense that often carries large penalties.
The legal limit for blood alcohol content in the bloodstream of a Maryland
driver is 0.08 percent. This means that recorded BAC levels at or above
that legal limit warrant immediate arrest on the scene of the traffic
stop. First offense DUI's can come with substantial penalties such
as fines, jail time, and license suspension.
Charges, however, can be increased if certain aggravating factors are involved:
- Extremely High BAC Levels
- Injuries as a Result of the DUI
- Fatalities as a Result of the DUI
- Children Present at the Time of the Stop
- Past DUI Convictions
IF YOU ARE STOPPED FOR DUI OR DWI IN MARYLAND THEN:
1. PULL OVER TO THE NEAREST SAFE AREA YOU CAN FIND - THE SIDE OF THE ROAD,
A PARKING AREA OR OTHER AREA SAFE FROM TRAFFIC
2. STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE WITH YOUR HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL
3. WHEN YOU SEE THE OFFICER AT YOUR WINDOW, ROLL IT DOWN AND BE RESPECTFULL
4. TELL THE OFFICER WHERE YOUR REGISTRATION, LICENSE AND PROOF OF INSURANCE
IS AND ASK FOR PERMISSION TO OBTAIN THEM . TRY NOT TO FUMBLE AROUND FOR THEM.
5. IF YOU ARE ASKED WHETHER YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING DO NOT BOTHER REPLYING
AT ALL (UNLESS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN DRINKING). DO NOT LIE TO THE OFFICER.
IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING-- IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT WAS 1 DRINK OR
MORE - THEN DO NOT RESPOND OR OFFER ANY INFORMATION. REMEMBER-- IT IS
WITHIN YOUR RIGHTS TO ASK FOR ANY ATTORNEY -- YOU CAN THEN POLITELY REFUSE
TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS. TELL THE OFFICER THAT YOU WANT AN ATTORNEY AND
THAT YOU CHOOSE TO REMAIN SILENT.
6. IF THE OFFICER ORDERS YOU OUT OF THE CAR THEN YOU
7. IF THE OFFICER ASKS YOU TO PERFORM "FIELD SOBRIETY TESTS,"
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO COMPLY. REMEMBER THAT YOUR DEMEANOR, ACTIONS, STATEMENTS
WILL BE USED AS EVIDENCE AGAINST YOU! IF YOU DO NOT PERFORM THE TESTS
THEN YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BE ARRESTED FOR SUSPICION OF DRIVING UNDER THE
INFLUENCE. OR IMPAIRED.
8. ONCE ARRESTED AND IN THE POLICE CAR -- BE SILENT
9. BREATH TEST-- ONCE YOU ARRIVE AT THE POLICE STATEION OR PRECINCT THE
POLICE WILL REQUEST THAT YOU SUBMIT TO A BREATH TEST / ALCOHOL TEST. THE
POLICE WILL ALSO EITHER READ TO YOU OR GIVE YOU TO READ A DR-15 FORM.
THE DR-15 FORM GIVES YOU INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING THE
TESTS AND THE CONSEQUENCES IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE TEST.
--- REMEMBER THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE TEST
-- IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE TEST, THEN YOU MUST BE AWARE THAT YOU WILL SUFFER
CONSEQUENCES SUCH AS THE SUSPENCION OF YOUR DRIVING PRIVILEGES
-- IF YOU DO TAKE THE TEST, THEN REMEMBER THAT IT CAN AND WILL BE USED
AS EVIDENCE AGAINST YOU
10. AFTER YOU EITHER TAKE THE TEST OR REFUSE IT, THE POLICE MAY EITHER
RELEASE YOU OR HAVE YOU GO BEFORE A COMMISSIONER FOR BAIL TO BE SET.
Legal Help for Your Columbia DUI Emergencies
Conviction for drinking and driving can negatively impact many areas of
your life, from your personal relationships to your professional career.
Protect yourself from an unnecessary conviction by
contacting a Columbia DUI attorney from
The Law Offices of Marc A. Ominsky. We can fight against the charges in court and help you increase your
chances of getting out of this successful! Call for a free case consultation today.